Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Under a Maui Moon

Robin Gunn is absolutely one of my favorite fiction authors! My favorite is her Sisterchicks series. I even have 3 in audiobook form. While they are easy to read, they deal with real heart issues. I like them primarily because they are not really romance stories. Not really! They are usually about 2 friends or sisters and their "need" to take a trip somewhere to reconnect. Anyway, Robin know how to weave an entertaining, encouraging, and inspiring tale.

She has written some stand alone novels, including my latest read Under a Maui Moon. It deals with a middle-age couple, empty-nesters, who have grown apart. What will become of their marriage?

One of my favorite parts of the book is while the wife Carissa is on a "vacation" in Maui (p. 191). In a beautiful National Park, nestled in the lush tall grass, stands a humble chapel where she feels closer to God than she has in a long time.

I was surprised by the description of Carissa's church experience, and why the Lord was able to touch her heart by merely being in this simple church.

She says,

"Their church stopped being a place of worship for Carissa. It was different here in this humble chapel, covered by the silence. No pictures flashed on large screens. No jokes were being told into lapel mikes. Here, the simplicity gave plenty of room for a worshipper to focus on God alone."

I thought this was beautifully written and made its point loud and clear. I also loved the way she started each chapter with the words of some of my favorite old hymns.

I hope you'll give Robin's books a try if you never have before. Here are some of her novels:

The Glenbrooke Series
Gardenia's for Breakfast
Under a Maui Moon
Sisterchicks on the Loose!
Sisterchicks in Sombreros!
Sisterchicks Do the Hula!
Sisterchicks Down Under!
Sisterchicks Say Ooh La La!
Sisterchicks in Gondolas!
Sisterchicks Go Brit!
Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment