Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Keep Record of Your Reading

A fun way to keep track of your reading is to keep a Reading Journal. You can make it as simple or complex as you like. Devote a decorative notebook or blank journal that you will keep for your Reading Journal.

Each year start a new page. I simply list my book and author once I've finished it. I like to leave little codes for how I would rate the book...smiley face or asterisk for a really great book or a frown for "don't bother to read again or recommend it". Sometimes I want to beat my own record from last year, or maybe I want to finish all the books I got at the library sale that year. Either way, I feel a bit of accomplishment at the end of a good reading year. You can also see what kind of reading you are doing. Maybe you want to challenge yourself to read some more classics, biographies, or topical books (ex. parenting, marriage, theology, sermons). Along with new works, throw some older ones in, too.

I think it's important to be careful what you read. Definitely keep your reading free of books with foul language or word pictures that describe sin in too detailed a fashion. Some folks may think this is too limiting, but I can assure you that you will have no shortage of reading even if you set yourself a high standard. The Psalmist says "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes." We should all adopt this attitude. If we are trying to please the Lord with our lives...that means every area of our lives. Sometimes this means a little "house cleaning" in some area. Believe me, you will not miss those things you get rid of because the Lord will replace them with something far better.

So, set up a shelf of great books to read and start turning some pages.  Find a beautiful journal or notebook and see how much you can learn from book by December 31.


"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."             Philippians 4:8

1 comment:

  1. Haven't kept a reading journal this year; it is a great idea though. Thanks for your ideas. I want to incorporate some of them into my reading list.

    ReplyDelete