Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sisterchicks Do the Hula

Few books are as light-hearted and fun to read as Robin Jones Gunn's Sisterchicks Series. They are generally void of dating/romance storyline.  Robin emphasizes the wonderful encouragement of godly friendships. Our friends can help up "take it up a notch" in our spiritual walk with God, or they can drag us down to worldly levels of living.  If you read her series, you will be wishing for friends like those in the book.  Don't despair if you don't have that right now. God knows what he is doing. Perhaps this is a time to draw close to Him as your dearest friend or rekindle friendship with your husband. Those are good things, right? In time, He will most likely send that encouraging friend along your path. Prepare by being a good friend to those you know, and pray that the Lord will meet your want.

Most often I feel the need to travel somewhere after I've read a Sisterchicks book. This particular novel is set in the beautiful Hawaiian Islands. I've never been, but I would love to hop across the pond in that direction. Two friends, who have lost touch through the years, reconnect in this sweet story. It is a coming of "middle" age story really. We go through many stages in our lives. These ladies are both turning the big 4-0. I have a sis who is turning 3-0 soon, and I'm thinking she may not be looking forward to it. Each stage can bring new joys and contentment.

Sisterchicks books are very easy to find at used bookstores and library sales for $1 or .50. I stock up on them whenever possible. In fact right now http://www.christianbook.com/ has Sisterchicks Down Under for only about $1 or $2, and Sisterchicks in Sombreros on audio CD for about the same price. I have several copies of each on my gift shelf right now. I give them to missionary wives all the time.

In an earlier post I have mentioned several of Robin's books. Sisterchicks Do the Hula is probably one of my favorites.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment