Monday, July 25, 2011

Book "Heaven"

Okay, so, I went to book "heaven" this weekend. At least it was for me. Our state Christian home educator convention was Friday and Saturday, and I've just got to say that I could LIVE in that Exhibitor Hall for quite a while! I think any avid book lover, whether mother or homeschooler or neither could have some serious bouts of hyperventilation in that room! My husband hasn't got the hang of it yet. He looks around for about 10 minutes and says, "Oh, well. I'm done."  WHAT??!! I can't wrap my mind around that. It's like having 30 bookstores in the same room...complete with discounts, no shipping costs, and Christian books of all kinds.

I always have to reign myself in a little bit, or I could walk out with a serious financial crisis on my hands. I give myself a general, reasonable limit with room for negotiation. (Lucky for me, my birthday usually falls right around that time so I might have a little extra "green" in my pocketbook.) This year I did mostly curriculum shopping. I'm going to try some new things...nature study, living books history, more variety with Bible time and more fine arts appreciation. I'm pretty jazzed about it all. These meetings always get me completely psyched to start school. Not so for my student body...this is still summer break time. But I'm hoping some of my newly acquired finds will help make this year even more enjoyable.

I wish you could visit a home school exhibitor hall no matter what stage you find yourself in life or what educational choice you have made. I have found some of the best classic books in the world there. If it's a classic, out of print, and now reprinted, you WILL find it there. A beautiful book I purchased about two years ago is called The Basket of Flowers by Christopher von Schmid.  WOW! I asked the vendor what she had that was similar in tone to Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss. She recommended The Basket. Boy, did I hit the jackpot! A beautiful novel albeit tinged with sorrow that is deep and rich with spiritual insight and power. Written well over 100 years ago, it is uplifting and challenging. Can you say that about all the fluff out there today?  Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a good piece of light reading as well as the next person.

I did purchase a book solely for myself though...How to Have a Heart for Your Kids by Rachael Carman. And yes, it is written by a home school mom...(Apologia Press). So far it's great! Just a little book to help me review my direction and focus for the new year. (BTW, I got to hear the speaker for four sessions. She was a lots of fun, and loves what she does.) Amen!

Let's find those "treasures" wherever they are and get busy reading them. I don't know about you but I need to be challenged to "kick it up a notch" spiritually speaking frequently throughout the year.

Enjoy!

*Coming soon...a review of A Love That Multiples by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar.

No comments:

Post a Comment