Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sarah's Folly

I picked up a book on an abandoned shelf while I was out of town for a few days, and found an intreging novel. Set in a pre-911 setting Sarah's Folly by Kathy Farinella chronicles a fictional tale of a young journalist's search for her man in uniform who has mysteriously disappeared amidst rumors of an Islamic hostage situation in Iraq. The author cleverly explains many Muslim traditions and views as her main character Sarah witnesses to a co-worker during their travels. She ultimately lands herself in the middle of Iraq where she learns more about the people, the lifestyle and the whereabout of her husband.

This slim volume didn't grab my attention at first, but I'm glad I persevered through it. While not a masterpiece, it is well written and told from a thoroughly conservative, even Baptist, perspective. Refreshing! Only 143 pages it is easy to read and will definitely make an impression. I imagine this book is not easy to find. Probably most common in church bookstores, it is also available online.

Sadly the young author Kathy Farinella went to be with the Lord about 8 years ago after a battle with cancer. She wrote other books that addressed various cults in a fictional venue. Hope I come across others. If you find this little volume be sure to pick it up. You'll be glad you did.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment